Wednesday, February 6, 2008

February 2008

By Aaris A. Schroeder
Editor-In-Chief

This is going to be my first published editorial online, possibly ever -- although I have written them, I just have been spending so much time getting everything else in order from writing to editing to posting to working the business to finding staff that I haven't had much time to get an editorial out of myself.

Luckily, I make the rules to my own editorial and here they are:

1. My editorials are to be written on my own accord much like a diary or journal entry.

2. I may switch up the subjects but won't leave you confused

3. I have a lot to say, so I hope you like reading [part of why journalists have paragraphs consisting of one-three sentences

Alright, enough with my rules and regulations in editorialism. Here is the deal. I am not going to quit UBO Mag. Not just because written journalism as a whole is a dying art or because I have too much pride -- we pride may have something to do with it -- but because I was one of the first online e-zines in Northern CA. The month I decide to attempt going hardcopy everyone I know around me is being threatened to go under -- McClatchy who runs Sac Bee -- I know SNR is moving from their comfy Midtown location to DPH [Del Paso Hieghts, if you don't know], Prosper is going under, Sacramento Magazine is doing okay but I am sure that Sactown Mag [ran by McClatchy or is it Sacramento Mag?] and Midtown Monthly [which got bought out from a load of other blah-blah-blah Monthlies] is soon to follow. I don't like seeing this because for myself, someone who is working in my field because I love it, not because I want to make a load of money from it will suffer the most. Every small magazine like 916, The Legend, Yellow Bus and whoever else can't survive in this economy. Being independent is hard -- you have to know how to hustle. We are staying online but in the meantime, I will continue to e-press UBO for you -- if it makes you feel better, print out a copy for yourself and show your friends. It will save me and my potential, purposive advertisers a lot of money.

No comments: